Wednesday, February 27, 2013

New Toys + Update

I've complained before about the state of my dorm's kitchen, but it is definitely something worth complaining about. Like any communal space shared by close to two hundred university students, it is in less than ideal state. While it does offer some communal supplies, it is annoying having to scrub everything before using it - if you can find what you need in the first place. Since I want to bake on a regular basis, I decided it was fairly reasonable for me to invest in my own baking tools. After all, I do plan on moving out of the dorms within the next year or two, so I would eventually buy these supplies. Why not get them early?

My new toys came in a few days ago, but I have been tied up and haven't been able to pick up the packages until today. Here they are!

Shiny new toys (plus my striped comforter).

Kuhn Rikon French wire whisk, 10 inches: I wanted to go for something universal that I could use in multiple situations, so I went with a French whisk. It's not very big and the handle has a smaller diameter, which is perfect for my size. 

Winco single fine mesh strainer, 8 inch diameter: I was not planning on getting a strainer as well, but after finding a recipe for raspberry cheesecake with real raspberries, I decided to add it to my purchases. I am quite happy I did! It is much larger than I expected, and I can strain pasta in it too. Success!

Pyrex two cup measuring cup: As a chemistry major, I have a lot of affection for Pyrex since they also make laboratory glassware. I know I'm getting quality with this. 

Wilton rubber scrapers: You can never have enough of these! I can't think of a more useful kitchen tool, especially since I will be working with a lot of batters. Plus, the color is really great.

RSVP mixing bowl, 4 quarts: I have to admit, I'm glad White Dress convinced me to get the bigger mixing bowl, because this size is just about right for my needs. I won't be working with a lot of batter at once, but I could see how someone would want more room if they were baking several batches at once. It's just right for me, though, and fits nicely on my shelf.

Now that I have my own tools, I hope to be baking more often - I have quite a few recipes I want to try out.

Finally, the long-awaited update: I finally got word about my dorm's cupcake bake off, and while they didn't technically tell me that I won, they did tell me that my prize was anything off of Amazon.com under $30, not including shipping. If that isn't first prize, then this was a ludicrous bake off! JA doesn't have his eye on anything, although I do have something in mind. Hmm...

Until next time!
~Pink Heels

No comments:

Post a Comment