Friday, March 8, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I usually spend my Thursday nights doing my math problem set, but my instructor pushed the due date back, leaving me with a free Thursday! Since JK was having a terrible week, I decided to bake him cookies to cheer him up.

I used this recipe and decided to make up my own mind if they really are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever tasted. This recipe was a breeze to make, except that I ran into a major snag with the brown sugar. The bag was almost empty, and the only brown sugar left in there was in enormous clumps - I spent half an hour breaking up the clumps! According to a quick Google search, microwaving it for 30 second intervals would have also loosened it up. Oh well. I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

My dorm's kitchen, frustratingly enough, also didn't have vanilla. The last time I was in there, we had quite a large bottle of vanilla, but now it was nowhere to be found. Sigh. This is one reason why I dislike sharing a kitchen - when people don't put things back in their place, it creates an absolute mess. Thankfully, this was a nonessential ingredient - if I could't find the baking soda or flour, then I would be quite angry.

Adding in the chocolate chips this time was not nearly as bad as when making the boyfriend cookies. This recipe called for two cups of semisweet chocolate, and I was still able to mix it just fine. The recipe also called for I cup of chopped walnuts, but I decided to just stick with chocolate. 

Bursting with chocolate chips and waiting to go in the oven.

I popped them in the oven for about ten minutes, which was just enough time to bake them but still keep them chewy. In retrospect, I could have left them in there for a minute or so longer, because they were falling apart in the middle when I tried to get them off the cookie sheet.

Delicious, gooey chocolate chip cookies.

The result? The website doesn't lie - these really are some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever eaten. They were soft, gooey, and just the right amount of chocolate. JK really liked them, even though they fell apart quite easily; thankfully, they toughened up by the next day and were just right. I will definitely be making these again, and I am so happy I found this recipe!

Until next time!
~Pink Heels

No comments:

Post a Comment