Thursday, March 7, 2013

Nutella Cookies

When I found myself with an unusual batch of free time tonight, did I use it to study for my upcoming exams or get ahead in my work? Don't be silly. Unexpected free time is clearly baking time!

At White Dress' suggestion, I looked around for a quick recipe using Nutella, and I finally came upon a very simple, straightforward cookie recipe. However, disaster struck at the very first step: I only had a half cup of Nutella, but the recipe called for one cup. My quick fix was to change it to a half cup of Nutella and a half cup of peanut butter, thinking that the two flavors would complement each other. (Unfortunately, this move means that JK won't be tasting these cookies, since he doesn't like peanut butter.)

The resulting dough was easy enough to work with, and after my last encounter with the chocolate chip stuffed boyfriend cookies, I was extremely grateful at how little elbow grease I needed to get all the ingredients mixed together. These last few baking experiences have made me realize what I missed in my baking supply shopping spree: a wooden spoon (for easier mixing; it would also come in handy while making buttercream frosting without a mixer) and nested measuring cups (I have been using the nested measuring cups in my dorm's kitchen, but I will eventually need my own).

These baked for a little under seven minutes, and when I was done, I had eighteen cookies:

The Nutella + peanut butter hybrid cookies.

The result? Perhaps I'm not the best person to comment on that, actually. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter cookies, and the peanut butter flavor definitely overwhelmed the Nutella flavor - a little disappointing, but now I know which taste comes out on top after head-to-head combat. Apart from the taste, I don't have many complaints - they were soft and chewy, although I did destroy one trying to get it off of the cookie sheet. Hopefully, the next time I tackle these, they will be solely Nutella flavored - perhaps even Nutella stuffed cookies?

Until next time!
~Pink Heels

No comments:

Post a Comment